Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Methylphenidate Addiction
An_239366 posted:
I have recently been diagnosed with mild ADD and the doctor gave me a prescription for 18mg of Methylphenidate. I am supposed to take one a day, but lately I have needed to study and focus more, so I began to take more. Yesterday I took about 3, spaced out throughout the day (the lastest being at 10:30pm) and stayed up until 5:30am. Today I took 5 without even realizing it: 2 when I woke up, 1 around lunch, 1 with dinner, and another about and hour ago. I looked online and also found Methylphenidate is considered extremely addictive. I've only been on it for a very weeks but I am very worried, and afraid to go to my parents. What should I do? I am also supposed to take 50mg of Trazodone once a day at night to help with depression/sleep, but I have recently stopped. I just want to make sure that this isnt life threatening right now. The only side effect I feel are jittery hands. All help is appreciated.

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
It sounds to me like you have just realized that you're addicted, having lost control of your drug use. This is one essential element of addiction. It is important for you to reach out for help right now, even though the prospect frightens you. However, help is necessary for healing. Please let your parents know what's going on and make them your allies. Together you can talk with a physician who is knowledgeable about the addictive effects of this medication and seek a healthy alternative. I wish you well.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to James Golden, MD's response:
Thank you, Dr. Golden.

I expect your response may help others here as well.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.