Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Looking for Support
An_239608 posted:
I have been abusing alcohol for years and need to stop before I lose my family. Have begun this journey this past Sunday and have now been sober and without a drink since. While I realize there are AA meetings galore to select from, I want to approach this in a different manner by asking those within this community for the support and counsel needed. I have contacted a doctor to discuss the issue with as well as incorporated a daily app on my phone to remind me and to start a chain of sober days. Not sure how this is going to play out, but any advice, counsel and help would be appreciated. Ideas on other interactive sites, books to read, etc would be great. Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to joining each of you in our journey to a better life.
CW in Cbus

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi CW,

Good for you for starting down this road and for reaching out for support.

I'm looking forward to reading responses from others (just be patient as this community can be on the quiet side) but, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here.

An_239608 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Caprice, thank you for the welcome. It is the beginning of day 55 without a drink. Spoke with my Mom last night and instead of being upset, she was proud and said that I had answered a prayer of hers that she has been saying for the past 15 years. I have scheduled an evaluation at a clinic for Friday afternoon and am looking forward to discovering options and figuring out the root of the problem. Again, thank you for the welcome.

An_239608 replied to An_239608's response:
Oops, I meant day 5, not 55.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to An_239608's response:
That's how it goes... one day at a time. Well done for being here in Day 5, continuing to take steps towards your own sobriety and health.

Anon_158160 responded:
After trying a variety of creative ways to quit on my own, I found my sobriety through AA. However, there are many different ways to find what is most comfortable for you. It may be journaling, one-on-one therapy, group therapy or some other avenue. I remember deciding to address the issue with my doctor, who asked how much I drank each day. "Just a glass of wine," I replied. That was true ... but it was a 32 ounce glass!
I hope your journey becomes easier with each day, and never forget your mom is proud of your effort.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

smoking
you can also try the quitnet.com. you cangetsomefree parches there. the patches have really helped my with my stopping. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.