Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Detoxing from Xanax
cunningandbaffling posted:
I am a 55 year-old recovered alcoholic (10 yrs.) and drug addict (20 years). However, I have realized recently that I have become addicted to Xanax. (Prescribed and monitored by my psychiatrist.) I'm supposed to take 1-3 mg. as needed. This was fine until recently. Now I take between 3-5 mg. a day. They are becoming less and less effective and I can't function without them.

I'm wondering how long it will take to detox? I don't want to gradually wean because I'm afraid I won't be able to function in my job. I would like to just go somewhere and get it overwith. So here's what I'm wondering:
  • Hospital for a long weekend and then right back to work?
  • Drug treatment facility (inpatient) for up to 2 weeks?
  • Above but for 30 days?
If anyone has been through this or if a doctor is out there I would be grateful for any information you can give me. I'm a wreck and have to keep taking Xanax to function. That would be funny if it wasn't so tragic!

Betty Ford Center
Anthony Tornay, MD responded:
Drugs of the sedative/hypnotic class cannot safely be stopped abruptly when taken at this level. The withdrawal syndrome, including seizures, is potentially dangerous.

'Detox' should be medically supervised over weeks. Length of treatment depends on response and the needs of the underlying disease - dependence.

An_240618 replied to Anthony Tornay, MD's response:
Thank you for your response, Dr. Tornay. I have since seen my psychiatrist who said the same thing. She has me on a gradual reduction. I will be down by half in 4 weeks when i see her again. I am on week 2 and haven't had any symptoms yet. Thanks again!

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Anthony Tornay, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and a Director of the Betty Ford Center Board, joined the BFC medical staff in 1984. He is a graduate of...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Effexor Withdrawal
I don't think this was mentioned in this discussion, just skimmed through. I know not everything works this same for everyone, but I came ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.