Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
blackout recall
An_240668 posted:
I'm in a situation where I really need to know what happened a few weeks ago. I blacked out after far too many drinks and got hurt. I need to know how it happened though because I strongly suspect someone did it to me. Is there a way to recall? I would do anything! Side note, it was not a small injury; I got a concussion.
Betty Ford Center
Sean Barlow, MD responded:
If you are concerned about head trauma, I would recommend you follow up with your primary MD to evaluate for a concussion.

I know of no way to access memories lost due to alcohol-induced amnesia, i.e. blackout. The important point now is to assess your health and ensure you are stable.

Also, alcohol-induced amnesia may be a warning sign to look for other alcohol-related problems in a person's life. It would seem reasonable to talk with your primary MD about this as well, and if your doctor is not experienced in it, ask him/her or other trusted people in your life for the name of a person who may know about such medical consequences of alcohol.

There is help for you - please take care.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

How Family Member Can Deter Addiction In Adolescents
Families are the people who know teens the best. It is important that teens know that their families will always provide them with ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.