Includes Expert Content
Cancer patient still positive for THC 3 months after using for 2 weeks
An_241187 posted:
What would make THC stay in the system for 3 months after using it for pain control after a mastectomy? I don't use marijuana generally. I have a lot of allergies, and after returning home from my mastectomy, my surgeon refused to give me pain meds telling me to 'use ice and tylenol' for a 15" incision. Friends who believe marijuana would make it tolerable brought me enough for a couple of weeks, which I used. I haven't smoked anything at all since mid-August, and I am STILL testing positive. I've lost my job because of this. I am on Arimidex, thyroid meds and anti-depressant (zoloft) as well as valium, and take Melatonin for sleep What is going on??? Why is it not out of my system????? I want it gone, so what would help clean it out? I've been using detox tea to no avail.

Sukie543 responded:
Your metabolism is probably just slow. Maybe do some exercising.

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
Cannabis is highly lipid-soluble, which means it stays in the fat cells a long time. As a general rule - depending on the amount and duration of use — the substance will be in the urine for several weeks to a month or longer. Unless your usage was unusually excessive, it would be an anomaly if you tested positive at 60 days or longer.

Minkas_kids replied to James Golden, MD's response:
Dear Dr. Golden,
Thank you for your reply. It has been three months and I am still testing positive at approx 48ng. I used twice a day, what my friends called a 'one hitter'..and $35.00 worth, which I was told is not very much...maybe 1/8 of an oz. My doctors are stumped. Could it be my liver is not working properly?
Thanks.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Minkas_kids's response:
Hi Minkas_kids,

Do you ever take Ibuprofen or Aleve? If so and while you're waiting for Dr. Golden to respond again, check out this other discussion to see if anything rings a bell for you:

Click here

Minkas_kids replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Caprice,
No...I'm allergic to Nsaids...all of them.....and sulpha, and contrast dye....and Morphine...and a lot of antibiotics. I even had a reaction in the hospital to the 'bathing wipes' they used to give me a bath...it was bad enough I had to have IV benedryl. I was supposed to be in the hospital overnight and was there for 4 days because of my reactions to everything. This is why my surgeon would not give me pain meds to take home and my friends bought me marijuana. Unfortunately, I do not live in a medical marijuana state, so I lost my job when I was 'randomly' screened. I'd worked there 4 years and never been screened before. Right now I'm testing daily with CLIA waived screens a friend of mine who is a SA counselor got for me because she doesn't understand it either. Until now I've only tested positive for pot, but yesterday for Meth. I haven't taken ANYTHING different. I'm 58 y.o., have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, had my colon perforated 3 years ago which almost killed me, two surgeries on my wrist 2 months before being dx'd with breast cancer. Anyone want me in a research study?? I know this is an anomoly of some kind, but it has cost me my career. I started taking N-A-C (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine) a couple of weeks ago to try to help and I'm feeling better, ng numbers are going down...but METH??? Sheesh. I don't use drugs...except the ones currently prescribed and the N-A-C.

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD replied to Minkas_kids's response:
I don't feel this is a liver problem. Sometimes cannabis can stay in the system for a long, long time; with prolonged use, it goes into the fat cells and just stays there, coming out very slowly. 48ng is a pretty low quantitative value, and the value should fall over time.

I would suggest testing in another month or so (remaining sober in the meantime.) I don't see blame for anything else — it's an issue strictly related to the pharmacodynamics of cannabis. Good luck.

Minkas_kids replied to James Golden, MD's response:
Dear Dr. Golden,
Thank you again for a response. Like I said earlier, I used for for two weeks in early August for pain control for mastectomy, approx 1/8 of an oz. Haven't used (and won't) since. I am just now starting to show clean....a full three months. A friend of mine is a a doctor doingclinical research on anti-depressants and is testing me as he thinks this is an anomoly of some sort, as several of his participants are testing positive when they don't use at all. (I'm a professional as well...I know, I should have known better, but when your surgeon refuses pain meds and someone you trust says 'this will help'...). He knows I used during my recovery. So.......I post this for the information......and warning...for others. If you don't live in a medical marijuana state, and you want to keep your job, don't use marijuana.....hold your surgeon responsible for your pain management, and if he/she won't help you, fire them and find a doctor that will.