Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Holiday Stress and Recovery
Betty Ford Center
Johanna O'Flaherty, PhD posted:
The holidays can be a stressful time for those just starting their journey in recovery as well as people who have been sober for some time. Here are a few simple tips to remember in the months ahead.
  • At special functions, such as the annual office party, go late and leave early. Drive yourself so you don't have to rely on a ride with someone else, and always pour your own beverage.
  • If you feel compelled to attend family holidays, include a friend from your 12-Step program, if possible. Also stay in close touch with your sponsor.
  • Increase your attendance at 12 Step meetings. Many cities hold 'marathon meetings' around the holidays; volunteering to be of service would be helpful to both others and yourself.

Please let us know if you have other helpful tips or questions.

Thank you.

RoseLynn02 responded:
HI. I'm not an addict, nor have I ever been one, but I have relatives who are addicts/recovering/recovered addicts. Now I know they have Alanon for friends & family of the previously mentioned, but they are hard to go to since I have young children & no one to watch them. I have been looking around on here for a community like that, for relatives searching for some help or comprehension on the issue or for addicts/recovering/recovered & family members there of to all converse & share their stories in an attempt to get people on different sides of the issue to come together for better knowledge of the issue & better understanding of the opposite side from which they stand. I can't find any communities like that. Am I missing something or do you not have them? If there aren't any communities on here like that could I create one? Another community member & I were posting & she suggested that I could? Do you think there may be a demand for a community like that? Does anyone in this community think there would be? I think it's an important topic for all involved considering a lot of family members of addicts tend to also be addicted...addicted to enabling & need help too. I'm sorry, I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to post this, but I didn't know who to ask.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to RoseLynn02's response:
Hi Roselynn,

You could always talk on this community about that. Members come here to talk about addiction whether its their own or a friend's or family member's. And it's fine to discuss here the ramifications on those loved ones.

As you can see, this community is pretty quiet so I'm not sure there's enough of a demand for another one such as what you describe (I know the demand is out there but whether they're coming to WebMD or not, I don't know). But you are always welcome to create one of your own.

Or you could simply start discussions here around the topics that impact you.

RoseLynn02 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have found a few people discussing their issues about family or friends that are addicts in different posts, maybe they don't come here because it says for substance abuse & aren't aware they could came here too. I wasn't sure if this community was for that too or not because of the description & not just the name. Well thank you for your help.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 29 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.