Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Help with heroin addiction
momuv4girls posted:
My Nephew is 28 years old and a heroin addict. My sister just recently found this out.

My Nephew lives with his girlfriend who is aware of his addiction, but is young and doesn't understand the complications and danger. She is not a user.

My sister and I have researched his insurance and there is an inpatient treatment center about 200-miles from where we live that would be covered 100% by his insurance.

I was wondering about ideas, tips and persuasive ways to help get him to agree to go to rehab.

He does want to get/feel better and went to a local Dr. who prescribed him some pills to take, but after 1-dose, gave up.

Of course my sister and I are worried sick about him, and are not sure how far to take the situation in order to get him treatment.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
-Kathleen

Betty Ford Center
Harry L Haroutunian, MD responded:
This sounds like a situation that would best be addressed by a Certified Interventionist, someone who could deal with the family first. The interventionist can help family members address the consequences of your nephew's addiction, share their knowledge of previous cases, discuss treatment opportunities and then plan a formal intervention to confront your nephew with the unmanageability of his life and the need for treatment.

Most importantly, treatment would start with formal, medically supervised detoxification. Having this done on an outpatient basis is not nearly enough; I would suggest specific chemical dependency treatment and monitoring to give your nephew the best chance of long term survival from this chronic disease. Treatment does work.

momuv4girls replied to Harry L Haroutunian, MD's response:
Thank you so much for taking time to respond !!

I had no idea there are Certified Interventionists, I will let my sister know, and we will find one.

I appreciate your help and information.

-Kathleen

mayas_momma replied to momuv4girls's response:
I am a former heroin addict, and trust me, an addict will ONLY stop using when he/she is ready to. No one can convince them. They may go to rehab (I went 4 times before I quit). And his girlfriend may not use yet, but trust me, she will. That's how I was introduced to drugs (through my ex who used for several years while we were together before I started using with him). This is a very complex situation, and it hurts loved ones around the addict. However, there's not much you can do except offer support and resources when HE is ready. Until then, I'm sorry to say, there's a very good chance he will go through the motions, go to meetings even, he may even lie and act like he's clean, until HE makes the choice that enough is enough. Interventions can help because "outting" an addict as an addict, showing him that it won't be ignored anymore, can be a great motivator to get clean and that method does work for some addicts. Still, the choice has to be HIS because forcing it will, like I said, cause him to go through the motions but ultimately he will relapse until HE decides enough is enough.

momuv4girls replied to mayas_momma's response:
Thank you for posting, I appreciate words from someone who has lived through an addiction.

I think that is a very valid point about "outting" him through an intervention - and like you said, showing him his addiction will not be ignored anymore.
This is something to seriously think about.

Thank you again for your post!!

I wish you all the best!
-Kathleen

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Betty Ford Center Board of Directors member A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D ., Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Director, Penn Center for Substan...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.