Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
DEADLY COCKTAIL?
Anon_153382 posted:
Hi everyone, my wife has taken up the habit of "numbing" herself when she gets home in the evening by mixing alchohol, Celexa, and xanax to deal with stress and anxiety. I'm very concerned about the mixture hurting her. She's drinking about 6-8 beers, taken her regular daily dose of Celexa, and about 1 mg of Xanax. The effect that the combination has is amazing in that she looks and acts like she drank about 16 beers once she mixes the Celexa and alchohol and it's instantaneous. It happens about 30 minutes after she's taken the Celexa on top of the 6 or so beers. Can anyone help me please?

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
It is problematic anytime a person mixes alcohol and medication, especially benzodiazepines like Xanax. Taking Xanax with alcohol is like a "double whammy." Xanax is really alcohol in a pill. So, taking Xanax with a shot of alcohol is like trying to put out a fire by pouring turpentine on it.

A deeper question here is why your wife is on both of these medications. I recommend she have a candid discussion with her primary physician, letting her doctor know that she is also using alcohol because she feels a need to "numb herself." Diagnosing the cause of the problem can lead to an appropriate solution. If she continues with her current self-prescribing behavior, she could cause herself permanent harm.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Anthony Tornay, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and a Director of the Betty Ford Center Board, joined the BFC medical staff in 1984. He is a graduate of...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.