Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ultram (Tramadol) withdrawal when does the sweating stop?
Starla7291 posted:
I've been on Tramadol for three years due to chronic hip/back pain. I took my last dose Nov 18th and woke up next morning ill. I did not think of needing to taper of them because I did not abuse them. I was over all of it in seven days except for for the sweating or freezing. It's 28 days later and I am still either freezing or sweating. Is this normal? How long does that last?

I'm a liver transplant recipient - 20 years

Thanks

Betty Ford Center
Harry L Haroutunian, MD responded:
Tramadol is an opiate, and despite the fact that you've been using it as directed or non-abusively, as you describe, your long-term exposure has made you physically dependent.

The symptoms you are experiencing are those of a withdrawal syndrome and should pass. Your doctor can use some mild medications to help you through this period.

Know that you will be OK but need to have non-opioid strategies to help you with your pain in the future.

mayas_momma replied to Harry L Haroutunian, MD's response:
(I am a former Heroin Addict)
I've been through withdrawal from opiates many times, and because you were on this drug for so long, it's going to take longer to get all of it out of your system. I know, it's extremely unnerving to not be able to get comfortable (get cold, cover up, start sweating, uncover, start freezing, and repeat). I found that, when I was extremely uncomfortable, it helped to take a hot shower with the door open and the shower curtain pulled half open. I think it's the mix of hot and cold, but it provided relief for about half an hour (until the hot water ran out).
Good luck!!

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Effexor Withdrawal
I don't think this was mentioned in this discussion, just skimmed through. I know not everything works this same for everyone, but I came ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.