Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
lortab dependency
An_242922 posted:
I have developed a dependency to lortab (been on them for about a year now) and have no desire to take them anymore but everytime i try to stop i experience horrible withdrawl symptoms like restlessness and no sleep so i continue for this reason alone. i have called a few places but they all say i have to come in to detox for about 3 days. i absolutley do not want to do this i so prefer to do it in the comfort of my own home..this will keep me from stopping. can i talk to my doctor who im comfortablr with and be prescribed something to help with the symptoms..and do it at home? HELP i want to get off them soo badly but refuse to go to a detox center to stay. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Yes, please talk with your doctor about this. S/he should be able to help you with this.

You mention dependency but do you mean addiction?

An_242922 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
thank you. im not sure i have never had a problem like this before so i dont know the difference. i assume its most likely a little of both? but i have no desire i dont want to take them anymore so in my head i dont but my body does.. i have no clue im so lost i just know i want to stop.. but from home.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to An_242922's response:
I guess what I'm asking is whether these were/are prescribed for a medical condition and, if so, are you taking them as prescribed and have you discussed this with your doctor?

If you feel you are taking these without actually needing them for a physical addiction, let me know and I'll be sure one of our experts looks in.

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
You could indeed detox from opiates at home with proper medical supervision and support. I wouldn't dispute that.

However, how long will it be before you return to using them after you begin to feel good again? Pretty soon, I would expect. That's why chemical dependency treatment is so important.

Detoxification from the substance (in your case, opiates) is only a minor component of the full chemical dependency treatment experience. A reason so many people relapse is because detoxification is the only aspect they focus on, not realizing there is so much more to treatment.

My recommendation is to do it right the first time so you don't have to undergo needless suffering characterized by repeated relapses. I encourage you to explore treatment options in your community and wish you well in your efforts.

leannaa replied to James Golden, MD's response:
am prescribed the medication for chronic pain. i wonder how will i treat the pain once i stop? that also worries me but my main concern rught now is getting off them. i have not taken one for 2 days now and the hardest part is the restlessness and not getting any sleep. also i feel some anixety in the mornings\afternoons.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to leannaa's response:
Hi Leannaa,

Regarding how to manage your pain without the medication, I really encourage you to discuss this on our Pain Management community .

I hope you are discussing all of this with your doctor so s/he can support you.

ljude38 responded:
Sounds like you have become physically dependant on the medication which happens to so many people. If you truse yourself to stick to a taper schedule and can follow directions to the letter talk to your MD about a taper. Ive worked in a drug detox (we do rapid as opposed to traditional) for awhile now and three days is really not bad. A textbook opiate detox is 3-5 days meaning it will take 3-5 days to get the opiates out of your system.

GeorgiaShakes replied to ljude38's response:
Let us know how you are doing. I just recently went thru a self detox at home and can share my story. I also suffer from chronic pain, for several years now, and have "stopped" (twice in 3 yrs) in an attempt to try and quit pain meds and find a more natural healthy way of dealing with the pain. At home detox is doable, but you need to be prepared and ready to reach out to your family doctor if you need help. It is tuff, but the withdrawal does end after a few days, but you can run into PAWS [like I did > and is something you need to be aware of, but your doctor can help.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Betty Ford Center Board of Directors member A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D ., Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Director, Penn Center for Substan...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Effexor Withdrawal
I don't think this was mentioned in this discussion, just skimmed through. I know not everything works this same for everyone, but I came ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.