Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Quitting Marijuana
SonarX posted:
Hello everyone,
I'm a 17 year old male that has been smoking pot for almost 4 years now (started in 8th grade). I've been through hell and back in the last 4 years and I used marijuana as a crutch and most of the times it helped, at least I thought it did. I soon realized that smoking weed actually did more harm than good because it caused relationship problems with my friends and family. I'm now trying to quit for the good being of myself and to better establish a relationship with my loved ones. My main question is, when will I start to feel normal again? I haven't smoked since I was released from jail this past New Years (1 month), but day to day there are moments where I'll see and feel the effects of marijuana still. I continue to lack motivation but I can see that it has increasingly got better since I decided to quit. I also feel high when I wake up sometimes or just out the blue (its not the same high you get after smoking a bowl to yourself). I used to be an all A student in school until my cousin introduced me to pot, and then came other things and my motivation and self-esteem was shot to hell. Thanks for all your responses!

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:

You've asked a great question.

You have what is called 'amotivational syndrome', a classic consequence of long term cannabis dependence. Since the drug is lipid soluble, going into the fat and brain cells and coming out slowly, it's difficult to say how long you will feel under the weather. Just know that it won't be forever.

Seeking help from your physician and engaging in chemical dependency treatment will really help to facilitate your healing process because the process will work those areas of the brain which need exercise (so to speak.)

So, try to be patient and take it one day at a time, knowing that every day is another day closer to feeling a lot better.

shellreynolds responded:
exercise a lot drink plenty of water and maybe go to a sauna a few times a week thats what i read on the internet about how to detox your body from drugs

daviddicristo responded:
Diet obviously will help but you have to find other hobbies and interests that you are passionate about. I used to be a habitual pot smoker and I didn't find it that difficult to stop once I figured out it was a negative in my life and I wanted to change. The last part is the important bit, you have to really want to stop smoking.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Betty Ford Center Board of Directors member A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D ., Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Director, Penn Center for Substan...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.