Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
I am currently on a out patient detox...but still a little worried
andyjn68 posted:
I have been on a out patient detox...for about a little over two weeks I was put on Librium to stop the symptoms of withdraw as well as Celexa...I recently got put on Hydroxine do to still have bad anxiety episodes. My concern is I feal like some times the meds are working and some times they dont. I am tired all the time...I drink a little over a six pack of soda a day and dont eat very healthy infact i eat randomly a lot of the times till i feal sick. i just dont get it

Betty Ford Center
Harry L Haroutunian, MD responded:
If you re-read your paragraph, I think you'll see your life is out of balance.

Your detoxification on Librium will make you feel very tired, and supervision is important so that medications are appropriately tapered. I believe you are talking about a medicine called Hydroxyzine, which is an antihistamine and will add to your fatigue. These are not necessarily the best drugs to treat anxiety, although Celexa is certainly used for that.

Another drug that may help is Neurontin. You need to speak with your primary physician about the use of this medication, which is not proven addictive and has been very helpful in my experience with withdrawal anxiety.

Most importantly, you need help, perhaps through a regular relationship with a counselor and hopefully even a 12 Step program so that you may identify with other people and get the support you need.

Finally, it is imperative that you have proper nutrition and rest to deal with this delicate time in your life. Again, under the guidance of your primary physician, regular meals of a nutritious nature and adequate rest will be a great aid to your eventual detoxification and - hopefully - recovery.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.