Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I need to Stop
before51 posted:
How emabarasswed am I that after 20 years of sobriety (alcohol) I'm now back the last 3 years to drinking wine until I fall asleep on the couch. I have to quit again and last night I tried but ended up drinking 2 beers just to get rid of the edge. My husband drinks Miller Lite and even tho that stuff makes me sick I found solace in those two bottles. I keep telling myself that if no wine is present then I will not srink it. On Thursday I'm starting on Wellbutrin and I am trying to convince myself (rightly so) that taking this antidepressant and drinking is a lethal combination. Thursday can not come soon ENOUGH!

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
Sadly, even if you convince yourself that the combination of Wellbutrin and alcohol is lethal, this thought may not keep you sober. The reality is that this combination is not necessarily lethal, just ill-advised.

Perhaps it's the alcohol that's contributing to your depression? If your doctor prescribed an anti-depressant like Wellbutrin, the assumption is that alcohol is out of the picture for you. This drug may help you at some level, but don't forget about the value of a program of recovery. You went without alcohol for two decades, so something was working for many years.

I wish you well on your new journey to sobriety.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Betty Ford Center Board of Directors member A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D ., Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Director, Penn Center for Substan...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Effexor Withdrawal
I don't think this was mentioned in this discussion, just skimmed through. I know not everything works this same for everyone, but I came ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.