Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Marijuana Quitting Concerns
An_243854 posted:
Hello, I have been smoking pot for 6 years now every day. I recently stopped and wanted to know if I am ever going to be able to recover my memory. It has been taking a toll on my life and I want to get back to normal again. Will I ever get back to my normal original self again? I usually go through about an eighth every 2 days - 3 days. Since I am about to graduate with my masters in May, I want to really set my life straight and change my life. Now that I have stopped, what should I be anticipating for? I understand that there are other out there that have been smoking everyday for over 10,20,30 years. However I am just concerned that I will stay like this forever and I have permanently harmed myself? I truly want my memory to be better and this is I believe the first step in moving in that direction. Is my brain permanently fried since I have been smoking every day for the last 6 years?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

Another member posted similar questions recently and one of our experts responded. While you're waiting for others to respond here, take a look:

Quitting Marijuana

shellreynolds responded:
is there really solid proof that marijuana kills brain cells because i really don't believe it does. Alcohol does for sure and so do other drugs but i am not so sure about marijuana.

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD replied to shellreynolds's response:
There is a lot of evidence that marijuana impairs short-term memory, so this means that it affects brain function adversely. That's good enough evidence for me that marijuana kills the 'functional' ability of brain cells to survive when exposed to the drug.

I hope this is enough proof of cell impairment to satisfy your query.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Anthony Tornay, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and a Director of the Betty Ford Center Board, joined the BFC medical staff in 1984. He is a graduate of...More

Helpful Tips

How to detox and how long does it take from Marijuana? ASAP
any information on how and how long does it take to pass a foriesic test,help????? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.