Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    My boyfriend Is A Heroine Addict HELP!
    vayne posted:
    me and my bf have been together for a little over five years we have to children together a 2yr old and a 4 month old he has been dealing with this addiction for the last three years, He started off with smoking Oxy pills then went to smoking H and the shooting it up from time to time. He tries to get clean and goes through the withdrawls gets clean for a week then is right back on. I need help our family is falling apart, he is very mentally and emotionally abusive to me becuase of the drugs and is never around are children, what can i do to help him, is there anything I can DO to help him, We are both 21 and i feel like im a single mom with two boys because im the sole parent in thisfamily becuase he is never around always getting high our family needs help bad so and advice or insight im willing to listen thank you
    Betty Ford Center
    James Golden, MD responded:
    Remember that you are a single mom — the sole parent in the family — with two boys. This is a lot of responsibility for a young woman.

    One thing you can do right now is start going to Al-Anon meetings and taking care of yourself. You can certainly encourage your boyfriend to seek chemical dependency treatment; this is really his best option for long term sobriety. It sounds like his progression to injection use of heroin has been rapid, and I need to remind you that addiction is a fatal disease.

    He may need to be intervened on to be encouraged to enter treatment. Please don't try to do this yourself- there are professionals who can assist. Your best solution is to call for help.
    vayne replied to James Golden, MD's response:
    Thank you very much, and yes its very hard, i maintain a full time and part time job and raise two boys by myself while dealing with his addiction and still try to maintain sanity for myself, is there any 1800 numbers to call that might have resources for meeting and maybe treatment for him?
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to vayne's response:
    Hi Vayne,

    While you're waiting to hear again from Dr. Golden, this link leads to some addiction resources.

    Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

    Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

    Helpful Tips

    Will smoking weed effect my everyday life and health due to my age?
    I'm 14 and I've been smoking marijuana since I was 12 due to family problems&a family loss and my grades seem to me slowly going down ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.