Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Teen and second-hand marijuana smoke
An_244264 posted:
I live in a two-family home with a common basement/laundry area. My brother and his family live in the other unit. My 32 year-old nephew is addicted to alcohol and marijuana. He smokes marijuana on a daily basis and drinks heavily. Since he has moved back home with his parents he has begun going down to the basement to smoke. My 15-year-old uses the basement exit to enter and exit our back yard. He also makes trips downstairs to the laundry room to help carry items upstairs.

I am disgusted that my nephew is exposing my son to his marijuana smoke. When I have voiced concerns some of my family members have told me I am over-reacting. They do not see this as a source of concern. I am alarmed not just by the fact my son is exposed to the smoke, but also by the fact some family members have openly stated in front of him that this is not a big deal. I think it is a VERY big deal.

Am I not right to be outraged by this behavior?
Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
I agree that this is a big deal; it is a safety issue that should concern everyone in the household. What if your nephew is in the basement and keeps smoking and drinking, smoking and drinking until he passes out and a fire starts? If nobody else will listen to your concerns, perhaps the authorities will.

Also, it is possible that your nephew has the disease of addiction. Hopefully he will reach a point where he will seek help to attain a lifestyle free of alcohol and marijuana.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

How Family Member Can Deter Addiction In Adolescents
Families are the people who know teens the best. It is important that teens know that their families will always provide them with ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.