Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Adderall, what's it doing to my head?
KrazyKat91 posted:
For about four years I've been prescribed to 10mg Adderall (The blue circular ones) What my doctor doesn't know, is that I've been heavily abusing it. I'm supposed to take one in the morning one at lunch but some days It, I take two around midnight(additionally to my regular dose), because it keeps me awake all night, then one or two at 7am so I can stay awake for school. If I need it, I'll take another one four hours later then another one after school. About four hours after school I may take another, depending on how late I want to stay up. If I go a few days without taking it I can't think, or hardly pay attention to one thing. My brain feels wired, like I'll go insane if I don't take a pill. I just really like the feeling it gives me. I've never attempted to mix it with alcohol, thank god, but I'm curious to what this could be doing to my body.

Betty Ford Center
Anthony Tornay, MD responded:
More pertinent, you might ask, "What is it doing to my brain?"

By bombarding the brain centers with a dose of a chemical many times what it was 'designed' to receive, changes occur.
The brain centers 'adapt' and come to 'expect' this onslaught.

The bad feelings when you do not take your drug are basically withdrawal. It is these changes that lead to dependence - addiction.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Betty Ford Center Board of Directors member A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D ., Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Director, Penn Center for Substan...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.