Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Recovering Meth addict been physically SICK (Flu, ear infections, etc.) since i've been sober 2 weeks
An_244317 posted:
I am a recovering IV drug user who has been severely ill since the day I got sober (2 weeks ago) Im on antibiotics now for my ear infection and constant vomiting but I'm so sick that I haven't been able to make it to my outpatient drug program. I'm worried that I have infected my blood or may have something more serious since it' s been 2 weeks of not even being able to make it out of bed except for a doctors visit. I have gotten sober in the past and usually just experience a few days of exhaustion and fatigue but this goes way beyond feeling sleepy and crappy, I feel like my body is shutting down. Should I go to the hospital? could I have an infection in my blood from shooting up my doctor could have missed. I just want to feel better

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
The short answer is yes. Based on this description of how you feel, it may be wise for you to seek medical attention.

Opiate withdrawal can be a very uncomfortable experience and can last for several days, up to a week or more. There can also certainly be other complicating medical conditions involved that are causing you problems.

You've already enrolled in a treatment program and are trying to get sober, so why not go the distance and give yourself the best chance possible by seeking medical attention and asking for more help? You won't regret it.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

How to detox and how long does it take from Marijuana? ASAP
any information on how and how long does it take to pass a foriesic test,help????? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.