Skip to content
I need help, My boyfriend is in trouble and I don't know how to help
ALeibovitz posted:
My boyfriend is a drinker. He has started to uncontrollably shake to the point where he can't do simple things like wash dishes without breaking them or shave himself. When he drinks it gets better. He has tried to not drink and he's tried to slowly stop and it just gets worse. Sometimes I feel like stress makes it worse. He does have a hard job and things haven't been easy, he's under a lot of pressure. He can't sleep. I'm getting scared and don't know how to help. I don't know if drinking is causing this or something worse. Please help me help him

An_240941 responded:
Withdrawal can cause these symptoms. Life is hard & stress is part of that, but neither you nor him should use it as an excuse for his drinking when it's obvious he has a serious problem & needs help. Drinking has serious health consequences. Cirrhosis of the liver is one of them. I would suggest he seek professional help or at least seek council through his physician. There are meds available to help with his withdrawal symptoms & help him get sober. Honestly though, I would suggest he look into rehab treatment (in house or out patient) & also perhaps look into AA or some type of support group (if used right they can be helpful, unfortunately the truth is some people are only there as part of mandated sentencing through drug courts as a reduce sentence & have little to no actual interest, however if you want it to work it can). One last thing, for your health, I would recommend you look into Al-anon. It's a support group for family members of addicts/alcoholics. It helps more than you would think, & I think you could use the help. I use to go to Al-anon & it helped me. I unfortunately have a lot of experience with family members with addiction problems. Hope that helps & I wish you both luck. My husband has been clean for 1yr now, so it can happen if he wants it.

An_244716 replied to An_240941's response:
Thank you so much for your advice. I will absolutely look into to both of your suggestions. It helps to know there are people who understand what I am going through and have servied similar experiences. Thank you again for your insight and your help

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.