Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page for your Smoking Cessation board: this page for your Substance Abuse board:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    I've givin up.
    vayne posted:
    My boyfriend of five years is a heroine addict. we have two kids and expecting one more. I cant take any more of this. he shoots up atleast 12 times a day. and neglects me and our children. blows all his money drugs How am i suppose to cope with this.
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Vayne,

    I'm sorry for your need to be here but I'm glad you found us and hope that others will offer their support.

    I'm sure one of our experts will be responding but, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here. (((hugs)))
    Betty Ford Center
    Johanna O'Flaherty, PhD responded:
    You don't say that you're living together; however, if you are, I would strongly recommend you find a safe place for you and your children to go. I can empathize with you as you are in a difficult situation, and I hope you have a support system from friends and family.

    Your first concern is to provide a safe, secure environment for the children; presently — due to your boyfriend's addiction — they are not safe when in his presence.

    Your boyfriend has a disease he cannot control, and his heroin habit has become more important to him than his family. I would urge you to seek support from Nar-Anon , a worldwide fellowship for people whose lives are affected by someone else's addiction. Their website offers meeting information as well as literature. Also, if there are any treatment centers in your area, they may have a family program you could attend to gain insight on taking care of yourself.
    An_240941 replied to Johanna O'Flaherty, PhD's response:
    I completely agree about everything you said. I use to go to Nar-Anon & Al-Anon. My parents were addicts (sober now) & my husband was an alcoholic (sober now). They are so helpful & they have meetings for kids that are helpful too( if yours are old enough to understand what's going on). I wish you the best of luck & please get those babies somewhere else & yourself, especially now that you're pregnant again. You have to protect yourself, your unborn child, & your the kids you already have hun. I know it's hard to just leave when you love someone & all you want to do is help them & get them to stop killing themselves, but they have to want it too & you can't make him want it. The best thing you can do right now in this situation is leave & get support from your family, your friends, & Nar-Anon. I wish you luck.
    ljude38 responded:
    Its a difficult road to walk but as you're attaining the help and support your boyfriend needs you need just as much suport. I'm an addiction specialist in California and have seen people recover and families put back together. Its doable even though there is alot of work involved. If you have any questions let me know.

    Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

    Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

    Helpful Tips

    How Family Member Can Deter Addiction In Adolescents
    Families are the people who know teens the best. It is important that teens know that their families will always provide them with ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.