Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Marijuana addiction and recovery
An_244923 posted:
Hi I really need an experts opinion. I need to know how long THC will stay in my system and I have heard different amounts of time everywhere I look. I know it's different for everyone but I will list everything about myself that I believe affects the duration of time it is in my system. I have smoked 2-5 times a day for the past 5 years, probably less than a gram per day.I will be graduating from college and am ready to change my life. I have accepted a job and have 59 days until the drug test. I am 5'7" and 160 pounds and from my calculations around 10% body fat. For the next 59 days my diet will consist of mostly fruits and vegetables along with a little chicken, fish, eggs and red meat. I will also be drinking a gallon of water a day along with a couple glasses of cranberry or pomegranate juice and taking a B-6 vitamin. I exercise 2 times a day 5 days a week. I start with a 15 to 20 minute jog early in the day followed by 45 minutes of weight lifting in the evening. I also play in a basketball league on sudays that requires about 45 minutes of intense cardio. I think I have an average metabolism for my age(23years old). I drink alcohol about 3 times a week. I have thought about adding a detox program like Detox7 or taking a garlic pill to speed up the process but I'm not sure if it works or if it's necessary. Also I know the exercise helps but is it important to sweat a lot in these work outs? Please let me know what you think of my situation and please give me any advice that will get my system clean before the test. I will do anything. Thank you for your time.

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
THC sequesters in the body fat and comes out ever so slowly.

I simply can't answer your question as to if you will test positive for THC in 59 days, but you are doing one thing right — staying abstinent.

All the calculations and the reported remedies are meaningless unless you stay sober. My recommendation is to figure out how to continue to do that, and then the rest of your dilemma will work itself out. If you were also taking other substances, you might also consider 12 Step meetings and/or treatment in the future.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Betty Ford Center Board of Directors member A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D ., Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Director, Penn Center for Substan...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 29 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.