Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
AM I AN ALCOHOLIC :-( ?
latina31 posted:
I was not drinking at all for 2 weeks. I had to craving to drink or none of that. my main reason I stop drinking completely is to be healthier and lose weight. I used to drink beer, my trainer said if you go out and have to drink, try vodka and only two drinks. So I am not used to drinking liquor I really dont like it. anyhow it was a coworkers bday I went out with her and her friends. I end up drinking way too much. I was driving and I did get in a wreck. didnt hurt no one but myself. I went out on a curve. I was so lucky not to get a dwi. I had left my car there, so cops showed up to my house and yelled at me. I was in tears, I am still having a hard time believing what happened. I already been in trouble once so I do have a DWI that I havent even been to court yet. I feel like dying... I dont drink every day, if I drink it was more like social. but I am starting to believe I do have a problem it seems I dont know how to drink and stop when I am already feeling buzzing. I hate myself for this, once again I put my family in a situation that no one wants to be. at one point I started thinking I should had died in this accident. which I did went unconscious for like 2 hrs. I am in so much trouble money wise. my car didnt get totaled but it needs mechanic work and bodyshop work. I feel very ashamed, and I dont know what to do. or how to get help. I am very embarrassed, I let myself down. and everyone else that knows I already been thru a dwi once. so Am I an alchoholic??? I dont feel like drinking everyday. I dont have cravings. I actually was doing pretty good having this healthy life style change. all it took me was one mistake. one time I slipped. and I am back in feeling depressed, worried, sad, thinking so little of me. please any advise, comments. thank you.

Betty Ford Center
Anthony Tornay, MD responded:
The disease of chemical dependence (alcoholism, addiction, etc.) is related to a change in brain chemistry. It is not diagnosed by how much or how often one uses.
Your description of not 'knowing' how to stop indicates a lack of control which is very suggestive of the diagnosis of dependence. Two automobile-related incidents and your feelings of shame and guilt are also strong indicators.
However, to establish a definitive diagnosis (abuse vs. dependence) would require a more detailed history obtained by a professional.
Either way, you need to seek help. I wish you well.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Anthony Tornay, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and a Director of the Betty Ford Center Board, joined the BFC medical staff in 1984. He is a graduate of...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.