Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Has weed permanently damaged my brain since I'm medicated on prescription drugs?
whattodowhattodo44 posted:
Okay so I am 16 years old, the first time I smoked was when I was 13. I would occasionly smoke but didn't really start smoking until sometime in September of 2011. I would smoke not alot... But just very often. I never really built up a tolerance for it because I would get high easily from just a bowl pack--less if the weed was really good. I stopped smoking in march for a month but then I started up again not everyday thankfully but on the weekends I feel like I overly endulged in it.i have a therapist and she told me I was addicted (which at first i didn't think so but when I no longer had it I needed it) she also said I abused it because I smoked (past tense) every single day and it didn't matter how much weed I was inhaling it was just that I was doing it so much. I have ADHD and I take 60mg of Vyvance everyday, I also have depression which I take 200mg of Wellbutrin everyday. I don't know if it has anything to do with smoking but I also am on birth control...but one thing that is for sure is that I am a huge worrier and after one day of it smoking I feel like I'm about to die, I have a vibrating headache which spread all over my head (lips ears eyes) I feel like I'm about to pass out when I stand up to fast, and I see black spots when I walk into a different room. Im a very forgetful person when I smoke just like many others but if I don't smoke for a little it returns perfectly and within a couple of weeks I'll remember things crystal clear. The thing I'm mostly concerned with is if I'm going to lose my personality. My Vyvance kind of dulls me out anyways and I don't want the effect of being a past smoker to enhance my dullness gahhhh it's really stressing me out and I would really apreciate advice on personality alterations as result of smoking weed.

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
Cannabis can cause problems with your thinking, and long-term use can certainly cause problems with memory. There are studies linking Cannabis use to the development of schizophrenia in certain people who may already be vulnerable to mental illness.

All in all, long-term, high dose Cannabis use is risky for everyone, but especially for the adolescent population because their brains are still developing.

Based on your reported escalated use, your personality may not be the only thing you're putting in jeopardy with continued use, especially since you already have an established diagnosis of ADHD. I would suggest stopping altogether, and seeing your doctor is a good place to start.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 29 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.