Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Three years of Alcohol escape, can it be repaired?
An_245431 posted:
I'm a 47 yr old female with no major health issues. About 3 1/2 yrs ago I went through a very personal, traumatic experience and turned to alcohol for an escape. There would be 1-2 days a week where I would drink heavily, sometimes to the point of blackouts. There were plenty of times where I would go a couple of weeks without any alcohol, not crave it, and wouldn't even go through withdrawal, but then things would build up emotionally and I would fall back to the hard drinking episodes. I knew it was hard on my body at the time and made a point of taking extra B-Vitamins (including lots of Thiamine) and Milk Thistle. I also continued to eat healthy. (i know, nothing can make up for all the alcohol abuse, but i was at least trying). Since then, I've received professional help, dealt with what happened, got my life back on track and doing pretty well. It's been about six months since my last drinking episode and breakdown. Now that I'm back on track, I now have one socially, maybe once or twice a week, and there's absolutely no problem stopping at that one. I continue to take the B-vitamins, Thiamine and Milk Thistle to try and repair at least some of the damage that had to take place. However, I am living in constant fear and guilt that from those three years I will have major health issues on down the road. Before everything went down hill, I only drank socially about once or twice a year. I know I will have to be on my guard for the rest of my life when it comes to alcohol, but could 3 years of stupidity scar me drastically for the rest of my life? I'm trying so hard to forget those years, I just hope my body can. Some advise, please.

Betty Ford Center
Anthony Tornay, MD responded:
The answer to your question is - very unlikely. A good annual physical with bloodwork would confirm that.

Charliee70 responded:
Your story is very similar to mine. I am a 43 year old woman who drank very heavily for about 4 years, the last 3 were the worst, everyday, all day. I have been sober for about 110 days and while I was in treatment they did do blood work. Some things were a little abnormal but returned to normal readings very quickly. I was also very worried, but with a simple blood test, my concerns were put to rest. I do know some people who had serious medical issues, but that was while they were still drinking, pancreatitis for example. It's not very expensive and worry every penny. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Effexor Withdrawal
I don't think this was mentioned in this discussion, just skimmed through. I know not everything works this same for everyone, but I came ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.