Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Help me Help Him!
jbawife042012 posted:
My Husband is 35, we have a beautiful daughter together and he has a son that lives with us too! All in all our little family the light of my life, however he has a problem with Roxy's. It all started about 2 years ago, he starting having problems with Carpul Tunel (sorry if spelled wrong:) in his hand. Being that we had at the time no health insurance, he turned to the street for pain management. A few loritabs here and there really seemed to help his situation after a few long days at work. After a few months though, there was nothing out there except for Roxy's, or as i like to call them the little blue devils.
He started off taking one ever few days, then it was one a day, then two then three... can you see where i am going with this? Finally he admitted to me that he was doing 10 30mg a day, I feel somewhat responsible that it got this out of hand, with the busy every day mommy duties and i was in school full time i feel so stupid that i didnt realize what was happening. He came to me about a month ago and said that he wanted to stop.. all the way! I am finally working a "real" job that gives our whole family insurance so he can get real help for his hand.
I did my research and told him that with the excessive amounts he was doing that he needed to cut down slowly, as to not cause too much damage to himself, well at least not any more than has already been done! He has now been on 1 a day for a week and on Thursday this week it will be his first day without one. I am looking for any kind of suggestions on what i can do to help him through the "hump"? I hate to see him going through the DTs that are comming.
I went to the local health food store and purchased a bottle of Sonny's 7, i have read that this helps to rapidly take toxins out of the body as well as putting the good stuff back in. I have also got him lots of Gatoraid, Extra Strength Tylenol PM, and Soup! Is there anything else I can get to help him help him-self? ie Nausea medicine or anything like that.
Thank you in advance for any advice that anyone can give me and my family while we close this horrible chapter of our lives, I just thank god it is summer time and i can send the kids to grandmas house for a few days to focus on this!

Betty Ford Center
Harry L Haroutunian, MD responded:
I read your question a couple of times, and I think the most important thing to say is that your husband has a history of using these opiates in an addictive manner; or at least, in an abusive manner. Your noble attempts at detoxification are admirable but may be no substitute for treatment of a problem that could rear its ugly head again.

My suggestion is that you contact your family doctor and/or local hospital and see if you can find an intensive outpatient program. Now that you have health insurance, many outpatient programs are covered.

Despite successful detoxification, an outpatient program like this will allow your husband to continue to work and educate himself and the family with your participation, as well, as to the nature of the disease of addiction. He can take a proactive approach in the future toward the prevention of a problem and potential exposure to addictive substances, which may start this cycle over again.

I am not saying that he is an addict; I am saying that he used these medications with evidence of a tolerance, one of the things we look for in an adverse relationship with drugs.

Certainly it would be in your best interest to seek further help both for yourself and for him. This should be dealt with by professionals; you cannot manage diagnosis or treat your husband in these issues.

Vegas_Rebel responded:
when we detoxed at home, we turned to herbal supplements suggested by other members on this forum.. like L-tyrosine and sami. It helped. along with daily vitamin and a supplement meant to help aching joints. also, showering helped late at night when we couldnt sleep.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.