Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Drug Abuse
Jointcake posted:
About 2 years ago out of Depression, possibly bipolar disorder, family problems, and least of all ignorance, I started to explore the realm of drugs. I smoked pot from time to time and then my friends started suggesting I do other drugs, and not having the best home environment (my sister had a couple psychotic episodes and was traumatic and only until recently has she started to get better) I was quick to try and escape reality at what ever cost it took. At the beginning of the summer Out of complete ignorance I used inhalants about 4 times to get High. Now in retrospect I realize that doing so was one of the trashiest, most sinister evil, low life things someone could ever do. Later on in the summer I took 2 and a half hits of ecstasy on night with some friends. Later on In the summer I got high of off DXM about 4 times each time drinking anywhere from 4 oz to 8 oz of Robotussin. Also I took about 600 mg of Diphenhydramine one night with a friend to try to hallucinate. Now that I look at this in hindsight I greatly regret it to the point where I've contemplated suicide. I feel as if I've caused severe irreversible brain damage. lately I've been taking a lot of DHA and Omega 3 fatty acids to help brain function, also some Alpha Gpc, Nicotine, and anything that supports a healthy mind. Is it possible through taking supplements, and exercising my mind through logic puzzles and reading, that I may be able to reverse some of brain damage?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

I'm glad you found us.

I'm sure that one of our experts will be responding but, in the meantime, I wanted to encourage you to consider therapy to help you deal with all you are feeling about this issue. You need and deserve some support. And if you need help keeping yourself safe, please call a crisis line and let them help you. Suicide is never the answer.

Betty Ford Center
Sean Barlow, MD responded:
There is no clear evidence that supports the idea that use of supplements or cognitive exercises help brain damage.
The best activities to help someone with healthy brain function/growth are a balanced lifestyle, good nutrition, ample exercise and limiting and/or preferably not using potential substances of abuse.
I would highly recommend that you touch base with your primary care physician and/or mental health professional to discuss your use of those substances. Usage can definitely have a negative impact on a person's life, both acutely on the brain as well as long term with addiction.
Also, I suggest you talk to your healthcare provider about your thoughts of suicide as well. There is a concern that I have about your continued use despite feeling bad about the process — and where, ultimately, the use of these substances will take you, given the fact that you already feel bad but have continued to use them. There are programs that can help people with that, such as AA, NA and mental health providers.
I wish you well.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

smoking
you can also try the quitnet.com. you cangetsomefree parches there. the patches have really helped my with my stopping. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.