Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Have I caused long term irreversible damage to my developing brain from 1 binge drinking session? very worried
Dickson10 posted:
Hi, I am a 17 year old male who made a mistake a few nights ago. I went to a party and drunk alot of alcohol over the night i had about 10 beers. I have been very worried and regretful of what i did and have been very concerned with the damage I may have caused to my brain, and if I have any irreversible long term effects. This has worried me since, and being a student i want to do the best I can at school. I have sworn not to drink again from this experience, not until i legally can, and i will drink responsibly. I hope I have not damaged my brain, to the point were it cannot improve over time, and I can be smart and quick thinking which I hope to be, this has made me concerned and scared. Thank you very much

puravida22 responded:
There are people who drink more than that every single day. That's not to say over many years, that it won't do damage, but people drink too much all the time, and doing it once is not going to cause any damage whatsoever, especially at your age.

It is wise, however, to not make a pattern of doing this as studies show that people who drink regularly before they are 21 are much more likely to become alcoholics as adults.

Good luck with your schooling.

Charliee70 responded:
I am sure you have not damaged your brain or body with 10 beers. You need not worry, I am sure you are fine. You are young and strong. I drank much more than that over the last 4 years everyday, as I am a recovering alcoholic. It took some time for the fog to clear in my head, but I am back 100% mentally and physically. I am lucky to not have damaged my body or my brain in that amount of time, which could have easily happened, especially at my age and that I am female.

I am glad to hear that you are going to wait until you are older and more responsible. Drinking young can easily become a much bigger problem in the long run~ as one in 16 people in America are dealing with an alcohol problem.

Good luck and don't worry anymore!

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Anthony Tornay, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and a Director of the Betty Ford Center Board, joined the BFC medical staff in 1984. He is a graduate of...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.