Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Please Help, New Here
1234Renee posted:
I have been addicted to opiated for 2 years since I was perscribed them for a c section. Well now they are taking over my life. I stopped this morning. And already feel crappy. I dont know where to go for support. Suboxone is not an option for me. Someone been through this?

Betty Ford Center
Harry L Haroutunian, MD responded:
You are very fortunate to recognize that the opiates are taking over your life. I hope that your stopping was preceded by somewhat of a taper on these medications rather than an abrupt cessation.

I am not sure why Suboxone is not an option for you, but I do know well that opiate detoxification is possible without Suboxone. There are ancillary medications like Clonidin in oral or patch form as well as Neurontin that we use in detox protocols for opiates. These are quite helpful.

All in all, I hope you will seek the advice of a Board-certified addiction medicine physician or addiction psychiatrist to assist you in appropriate and comfortable medically assisted detoxification.

If your mind is open, you may further want to look into an intensive outpatient program that allows you to function in the confines of your life and work and begin the road to recovery. This is much more than just taking the pills, this is about the psychological, social and spiritual hold that addiction places on its victims. I encourage you to seek the whole package, you sound like you deserve it.

An_247741 replied to Harry L Haroutunian, MD's response:
Hello, my husband is military and after being hurt, addiction to opiates to cover PTSD, he sought help. Now one of the doctors is giving him robaxin, from what I have read, it has addictive tendencies, I am worried and the doctor will not take him off of this medicine, per my request. what can I do to help my husband? He has SEVER anxiety and agoraphobia but also real pain issues. I am trying to understand the disease, trying to help but he went in for detox to rid his body of everything to start fresh to get help for the anxiety, now they are treating the addiction, not the anxiety, it is making it worse, I am at a loss?!?

Betty Ford Center
Johanna O'Flaherty, PhD replied to An_247741's response:
If your husband is indeed addicted to opiates, he needs to be treated by an addiction physician/psychiatrist who is specially trained in addiction and PTSD. The Veterans Administration should help you with finding the appropriate care.

In addition to medication, it seems that your husband could benefit from a psychotherapist that can address his anxiety and agoraphobia.

I understand that it is very difficult and painful for you to stand by feeling helpless, but you do not have to experience this pain alone. There is help available for you through Al-Anon , where you will find men and women who have had similar experiences.

An_247741 replied to Johanna O'Flaherty, PhD's response:
He was being treated by these type of doctors in the detox center. The problem is getting help from a psychotherapist. The place where we are stationed is soo packed he can't even get into to see the regular therapist, let alone getting a consult for an out of town doctor. Since he is active, the VA cannot help him. Is there anything else we can do?? His anxiety is taking over his life!!!

Betty Ford Center
Johanna O'Flaherty, PhD replied to An_247741's response:
If the doctor providing the Robaxin does not know that your husband has been treated for addiction to opiates, he needs to be told.

There are non-addictive medications and other avenues for both anxiety and pain management that may be effective.

Has your husband personally reached out for help? I empathize with your desire to do everything you can, but he also needs to aggressively pursue help. I hope that by now he is at least on the waiting list to see a psychotherapist. I would also suggest 12 Step group support for both of you.

An_247741 replied to Johanna O'Flaherty, PhD's response:
Yes, the dr that prescribed the robaxin was at the rehab he was at. Which I think the only thing they did was detox him, have not helped with anything else, ie anxiety and pain.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Betty Ford Center Board of Directors member A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D ., Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Director, Penn Center for Substan...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.