Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Celexa and alcohol abuse
tscherm1 posted:
I started taking celexa about a year ago, and since then my drinking has increased to the point of alcohol abuse, coupled with increased blackouts. I ended up in rehab, AA, etc, with no problem drinking in the past, and considering myself a social drinker, prior to this. I have read in several forums, and spoken to a couple people that have experienced similar symptoms while taking this medication. I do not consider myself an alcoholic, and am considering (with medical supervision) taking myself off of the medication. I am still sober, and have been for 4 months, and do not plan on returning to drinking until I have completely removed myself from the medication. Has anyone else experienced this problem/situation? Is there any evidence/documentation showing a history or trend involving this issue?

Betty Ford Center
Anthony Tornay, MD responded:
From my understanding of the scenario you describe, there is no scientific evidence that antidepressants 'sensitize' the brain to the use of alcohol.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.