Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Help for getting off Suboxone
MissKitty111 posted:
My Son was addicted to opiates for seven years after a severe shoulder injury at age 17. He wanted to get "clean" and was put on Suboxone. He has anxiety and depression, so his Addiction Psychiatrist added Adderal and Klonopin. He is now showing very scary side effects. I'm so worried. He is very slow at everything, his speech is slurred, it is hard for him to put words together. We think he may be having halucinations or fixations. He thinks there are mice and bugs in his house and no one else has seen any signs of them. All of this is terrifying me. When I looked up the side effects of Suboxone, his symptoms match up with the side effects. He's 26 and I'm not supposed to be talking with his Psychiatrist. He doesn't want to get off the Suboxone.

What should I do and where can he get help? I noticed some Betty Ford experts and I would love to hear from you. I'm a Nurse, but I have no experience with Psychiatry and addictions. I need to find some help quickly but don't know where to go.

Betty Ford Center
Sean Barlow, MD responded:
From what you describe, this could be related to the medications given to your son; it could be a primary psychiatric disorder and/or it could be related to other drugs he may be taking that have abuse potential.

Ideally, it would be good to talk to your son's psychiatrist, but he has the right to not allow you to communicate with his doctor. Under that circumstance, you don't have a lot of options.

What you can do is take care of yourself by doing things such as attending Al-Anon and/or a program that offers education and treatment for family members of addicts.

I hope you can help your son, or — even better — that he can help himself with the help of his psychiatrist.

I wish you well.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.