Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Confused
Liviaboo posted:
I'm on probation and in a program called Swift Court. I get tested at least 2 times a week and sometimes 3 times. I'm tested for Benzos, Meth, Cocaine, Opiates, and Marijuana. Even though my drug of choice was marijuana they still test me for the other drugs. Anyway, for a whole month I tested negative. Then 3 weeks ago out of the blue my test came back positive for marijuana. Usually my po uses the stick test so she can test it right then and there. But the day I come up positive she took it back to the office and tested it on the machine. I was shocked because I haven't used since the 1st of October. My tests after that one has been negative. I am so confused. I have been taking two Niacin 100mg a day as a dietary supplement and I want to know is that the reason why I have been testing negative this whole time. Because when I take them my urine is a real real light yellow and sometimes its clear. On the specific day I was positive I hadn't took the pills at all and my urine was a very dark color yellow. Can somebody give a little feedback to help me understand? Please!!

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
A lot of interfering substances can cause a dip stick urine test to be positive. However, if a urine specimen is submitted to the chain of custody of standards of collection and sent for testing, these interfering substances are out of the picture.

There is always an opportunity for you to disclose what medications you are taking on the form for testing. This will help the Medical Review Officer interpret the test. In the case of a dip stick test, you can ask to consult with a Medical Review Officer.

With respect to your dark urine color, this is probably not the result of Niacin; rather simply a concentrated urine. Remember also that cannabis can take a long time to metabolize out of your system. The test could have been positive even after all this time -albeit at a low concentration.

Hope this helps.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

smoking
you can also try the quitnet.com. you cangetsomefree parches there. the patches have really helped my with my stopping. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.