Skip to content
Tramadol tapering w/ Clonidine patch
An_246502 posted:
I have seen a new Dr. this past wk & finally feel like I have someone that understands where i am & that is going to assist me/medically follow me thru putting tramadol behind me. Before seeing this dr, i have tapered myself down from 18-20 (50mg/day) to 4-6 (50mg day). But felt like i had plateaued as far as doing all i can on my own w/out the wd's affecting me in such a way that i can't carry on normally thru the day. Each time I dropped below 4 i was incredibly ill. I need to put this entire thing behind me not only for myself- but for my family. My dr. has put me on Clonidine patch 2mg x 1 wk & then 1 mg.x 2 wks, w/the 3rd wk being tramadol free. I understand the taper instructions given. what i DON'T undferstand clearly is when i am to start the first patch application in relation to my 1st "drop" in taper amount. I've read it takes 24 hrs to take affect....so does that mean to apply patch the day before i taper down for the first time? Or wait unil i beging to feel those w/d symptoms. i understand clearly on the need to monitor my BP - i am alittle afraid it is going to drop my BP down really low & perhaps this method is not going to be "the one" to catapult me past this drug dependency - but nothing else i've done this far has worked - so i am open to anything and i fully trust my dr......can anyone relay their experience w/this regimen or tell me when it is i am to start the patch inititally in relation to the 1st taper day??? thanks

Anon_158160 responded:
I think the safest and easiest way to get the answer to your question would be to ask the doctor who put you on the Clonidine patch. I'm sure he could clear up any confusion quickly.
Good luck on this journey to recovery.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.