Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
My Boyfriend is detoxing from patches and pills and we need advice
Staystrong4life posted:
My boyfriend was in a bad wreck a few years ago & he had to have a metal implant in place of his colar bone. This lead to chemical dependancy of pain meds which lead to addiction -which lead to being reduced quantity and he is redflagged in clinics- which lead to buying/using off the street on TOP OF using the patches that release narcotic substances to the blood stream. He decided to quit "cold turkey" it has been 9 days, I have chosen to stick with him through this attempt. He has cleared the stages of shakes, sweats, and most of the 1st stages however he is telling me that his stomach is in pain.
On a scale of 1 to 10 ten highest he is at a 9 and struggling with this.
What can be done to reduce this pain if anything?

Betty Ford Center
Anthony Tornay, MD responded:
Opiates (pain medication) directly affect the function of the intestinal tract, both while using (often constipation) and while withdrawing (cramps, diarrhea, etc.)

The symptoms may last longer than the acute consequences of withdrawal. There are prescription antispasmodics, antidiarrheals, etc. that are not 'narcotics', which can help with symptoms.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.