Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Recovering NA Daughter stealing medication
An_250203 posted:
Hello. I hope I'm on the right forum as I desperately need help! My 24 year old daughter is battling an addiction problem. Apparently I've had my head in the sand as I knew she smoked pot but didn't know about the pills and other illegal drugs she had been doing until she got into some trouble. And now she's on house arrest...

She was hospitalized twice for depression and is in a drug rehab program at our local hospital. I'm very proud of her for doing this and I know there will be some backsliding as she continues her recovery.

I am a chronic pain patient and have been for 6 years. I take narcotics daily for pain. Early this morning, my youngest woke me up telling me the other one was locked in the bathroom. I finally got her to open the door and she had blood all over her!! I was shocked to discover that she was making shallow cuts on her arms and thighs. I got her cleaned up and was helping her to bed when I realized that she was on something. I asked her point blank if she had gotten into my meds (I do my best to keep them out of her sight but she KNOWS they are in the house).

She said she had gotten a couple of my sleeping pills (Seroquel 100mg) and took those. I asked if she had taken anything else and she said no but she was acting strange..

This morning I woke up and dug out my medication from where I had it hidden. I thought I had hidden it pretty good, but there's quite a few missing! I don't know what to do with her or how to handle this.. I've looked all over the place on the proper way to handle this and I'm at a loss.. I tried calling her counselor but only got voice mail.

She won't talk to me, she just says let me sleep. I don't want to see her go back into the hospital but I'm afraid she'll end up hurting herself even more than shallow cuts.

Anon_158160 responded:
Hopefully by now you have reached your daughter's counselor for guidance. She may be safer in an an inpatient program where she is monitored and does not have the temptation of accessing your medications.

Betty Ford Center
Harry L Haroutunian, MD replied to Anon_158160's response:
This is quite a convoluted problem you have, but if I understand your story and questions correctly, your daughter has relapsed despite the fact that she is in an intensive outpatient program.

The cutting is troublesome and very worrisome at this point but may be linked to her clandestine drug use.

She needs to be in a safe situation; ideally an inpatient setting where she can have a complete clinical diagnostic evaluation, including psychatric and psychological evaluations and psychological testing as well as a History and Physical. This process should arrive at a diagnosis and an appropriate treatment recommendation to help her. The inpatient setting and vigilant drug testing should keep her from further drug use and protect her from the unforeseen problems of further self mutilation or overdose.

I encourage you to act immediately and wish you well.

An_250203 replied to Harry L Haroutunian, MD's response:
Yes, she was admitted yesterday..

Betty Ford Center
Harry L Haroutunian, MD replied to An_250203's response:
I'm pleased to hear she is in a place where she is safe under professional guidance. Take care.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Betty Ford Center Board of Directors member A. Thomas McLellan, Ph.D ., Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Director, Penn Center for Substan...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.