Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
WHY CANT I DRINK ALCOHOL ANYMORE WITHOUT VOMITING?
KANDIEMEOW posted:
I can't drink anymore without getting VIOLENTLY sick. I'm not talking hungover, it's just vomiting uncontrollably (to the point where I can't stop) even from the slightest amount of alcohol. Even the smell of alcohol off of my friends breath makes me want to puke. I used to be able to drink before and there were most nights where i would be fine, but then there were some nights where i would wake up then next day and feel hungover and then start having a headache and then start vomiting all day for about 12 hours and then suddenly stop. so i am wondering if that was like an early sign telling me that one day ill not be able to drink anymore like now.

I am 28 years old. i havent been able to drink alcohol since i was 27, so for 1 year now. I had been drinking for over 10 years before that and socially like on weekends. i want to be able to drink a glass of wine with dinner or go out and have a shot at my friends birthday without getting sick. does anyone know what is wrong with me?

mpace1954 responded:
Kandi, have you ever had a bloodtest to check your liver? It's called a CMP (complete metabolic panel) It checks your liver enzymes and how well your liver is functioning. The reason I asked you this is because the same thing happened to me. I went to my pcp and she suggested that I should have it done. When the results came back it showed that indeed some of my liver functions were outside the acceptable parameters. She ran a test for HCV (hepatitis-C) and it came back positive. I'm not trying to scare you, but if there is something wrong with your liver you need to know now. Your only 28 so if it is HCV you shouldn't have too much liver damage. I was 56 when I was diagnosed and had liver damage of 3.5 on a scale where 4.0 is cirrhosis and irreversible damage. The new treatments they have with interferon and ribavirin are more successful than ever. Your liver is the only organ that can completely heal and regrow itself. I'm giving you all this information and you haven't even had the test yet. But if you have been drinking and not having any abnormal problems, hangovers and such and now your body cant tolerate even a small amount of alcohoI I would start by asking your Doc about running this blood test. I went through the Interferon treatment like I said, in 2008 and finished it in Feb. 2009, I have been "undectable" (dr. speak) or negative for over 3 years now. But dont put it off. I'm not a Dr. but having had hep-c and going through the interferion treatment and all, I have researched a lot of info about the liver. Please post back and let me know how you are doing. Also there is a Hep-C support group right on WebMD and there are a lot of people who can give you feedback if you need it. Good Luck

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD replied to mpace1954's response:
You may have an allergy to alcohol.

If you read "The Doctor's Opinion" section in the Big Book of Alcoholic Anonymous, you will get a better understanding of how alcohol affects certain people. Since that opinion was first written, we have come a long way in understanding the metabolism of alcohol in certain people and the propensity of some to have adverse reactions to alcohol because of certain genetic influences.

However,the bottom line for you seems to be that you might be well-served to seek the opinion of your physician for further help.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

smoking
you can also try the quitnet.com. you cangetsomefree parches there. the patches have really helped my with my stopping. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.