Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Weed Withdrawal
An_251669 posted:
Hello i am 20 years old . i've been smoking weed for 2 years now. I was a frequent user, i used to smoke every day. I'ts been It's been six weeks since i quit smoking i feel alot better now but still i face some of the withdrawal symptoms. My vision is disturbed and i have a painful headache. I still have concentration problems. Sometime i'ts as if i am still using marijuana. I would like to ask if it's possible to have permanent problems from smoking marijuana and for how long do the symptoms last and you start feeling normal again?

Betty Ford Center
Harry L Haroutunian, MD responded:
Congratulations on stopping your marijuana smoking; that is most commendable.

There are symptoms of withdrawal which are acute, and some are called post-acute withdrawal symptoms. These do indeed make you feel like you are still using marijuana. Difficulties with memory, inability to concentrate and emotional difficulties are just a few of the symptoms that may occur.

Be assured that your continued devotion to abstinence will be rewarded with normal brain activity. It is difficult to say how long it will take, and it is not unreasonable for it to last two or three months.

Good luck in whatever you do, and please don't pick up again - you are on the right track.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.