Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Effexor Withdrawls
kysonjensen posted:
Ive been taking Effexor 300mg a day for over a year now, and suddenly my doctor wont prescribe anymore refills. Ive been suffering for 4 days without the pills, and its been horrible. Vivid hallucinations, horrible vertigo, extreme nausea, uncontrollable mood swings. I cant take it! honestly the worst drug ever created. Ive gotten over the worst of the symptoms, but still need help to overcome the nausea. any ideas? Ive taken omega 3 supplements, as i've heard they help with the vertigo, and have drunk plenty of tea and liquids.

uberconcerned responded:
nausea symptoms can be terrible. Ginger is a natural fix. Im sure its pretty extreme so that might not be all you need. It comes in pill form, candied ginger, fresh or dried. also you can try emotrol. its made for pregnant women and works so well. you can find it in your local pharmacy.
hope that helps

Betty Ford Center
Harry L Haroutunian, MD responded:
There is a well-known and documented phenomenon called the "effects of withdrawal" syndrome. It has been written about extensively on the internet.

It would seem you are in the midst of such a phenomena, and all the symptoms that you describe may be simply based on your sudden discontinuation of medication. Things will get better, and adjunct medications as support may be needed. For example, something to help you sleep or assist with your nausea.

We want to stay away from any addictive medications during this. Perhaps the best thing you could do is restart the Effexor under the guidance of an appropriate physician who is sensitive to your problem and would start you perhaps at 150mg and very slowly decrease you 25mg at a time, over the next six or eight weeks.

Good luck.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

smoking
you can also try the quitnet.com. you cangetsomefree parches there. the patches have really helped my with my stopping. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.