Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Am I a Dry Drunk??
Charliee70 posted:
I am a 43 year old female who drank very heavily for the last 3 years, all day, everyday. I am now 110 days sober and relearning how to deal with my emotions all over again without the help of alcohol to keep me numb. I am short with my family, I find myself very irritable and I want to sleep my life away. I know some of this is also depression, but I am wondering if I am suffering from "Dry Drunk" and if I am how long does it last? I am starting to workout, eat better and meditate, I don't take ANY medications (don't plan on it either). This scares me because I have read some info on it and these people sound just terrible and intolerable to the people around them.

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
You are not alone. Getting out and going to lots of 12-Step meetings, getting a sponsor and engaging fully in a program of recovery will help you a lot.

Also, keep in close contact with your physician and pay attention to good principles of wellness such as nutrition and exercise, and this period of discomfort will soon pass. The tincture of time is your solution.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Anthony Tornay, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and a Director of the Betty Ford Center Board, joined the BFC medical staff in 1984. He is a graduate of...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.