Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What to do if you have adhd but are a drug addict
An_250153 posted:

My boyfriend is a drug addict and is in recovery but for pain pills such as oxy. He has terrible add and used to be prescribed to add meds when he was a kid. What can a drug addict do or take to help him succeed in life with out becoming addicted to another prescription.

Thank you
Betty Ford Center
Harry L Haroutunian, MD responded:
As a recovering addict, your boyfriend should benefit from education - education - education! That means protecting his recovery by knowing which drugs have the potential for cross-addiction, eventual relapse and - in his case - a return to pain pills.

Medicines used for Attention Deficient Disorder (ADD) are usually stimulants of the amphetamine variety. They are highly addictive, but there are alternatives. One drug in particular - Strattera - does not come with the same warnings and concerns that amphetamines do.

It would be best to get the services of a good addictionologist to help guide him with his needs. Certainly looking for non-amphetamine treatment of ADD and non-opiate treatment for his pain would put him well on the road for a successful life in recovery and serve as a good plan for future comfort and safety.
gmh12 replied to Harry L Haroutunian, MD's response:
Thank you so much. Will look into an addictionologist.
nkaplan2113 responded:
Well then you would be like most of the alcoholic community with ADHD. But if indeed he is an addict seeking help would be the first stop to focus on. Treatment centers can help with working with his medication during his stay.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

Help with Effexor Withdrawal
I don't think this was mentioned in this discussion, just skimmed through. I know not everything works this same for everyone, but I came ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.