Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Alcohol detoxing at home question
An_252690 posted:
Question: at what point is the severity of the detox symptoms too dangerous to be at home??? Probably varies....I've gone to the hospital a few times while detoxing....the usual schedule since I fell off the wagon is 4-5 days at at least a 5th a day...sometime up to (a 5th and a half)....then I feel like I have to stop because my body and mind are starting get fried....detox symptom being hig hbllod preesure, usually around 180/110' ish for the detox days.....follow down dizziness for the first 2 days...some shortness, where tis hard to get a yawn...and all the other symptoms.....head ache, etc. backround is: I'm 47, and have been a heavy drinking alcy for 24 years with 2 one year breaks. Thanks for any feedback "expert" or 3rd party insight from previous feed you have received thru ur experiences.

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
Detox is always a serious business. Every detox will put you at risk, and that risk becomes more significant each time you go into withdrawal.

I like to recommend that your doctor weigh in to make these critical decisions on your behalf every time you go into withdrawal. There is help, so you don't have to keep putting yourself at risk like this. All you have to do is reach out for help.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Peter Przekop, D.O., Ph.D., developed and directs the chronic pain track at the Betty Ford Center . Since 2004, he has been a member of the faculty...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.