Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My alcoholism and my husband
An_253673 posted:
I am an alcoholic. I have 2 years clean and sober. Going to AA was my decision. I was not forced to go through the courts, no DUI's, no jail, no job problems, no marriage issues with my alcohol, but I knew I was drinking too much and could not stop on my own. I went to my first meeting in August of 2011 and I was hooked. It was like the people there could look into my head and see how I was thinking. I go to one meeting a week, sometimes two.

My husband was surprised when I told I had gone. He didn't know I had a problem. I would really like to go to more meetings but he doesn't like it. I've offered to take him. He has no interest in going. Tonight he told me he doesn't think I'm an alcoholic. It's been over 2 years now and I know I am. I believe he thinks the meetings are some big 'social hour'. Yes, I get a lot out of them and I look forward to them. My homegroup is awesome. I'm thinking I might go to an Al-Anon meeting to try something different. I will try and get him to go but I know he won't. Maybe they can help me on how to get the message across on how important these meetings are to me.

My husband is a normal drinker. He's never had a problem.

Thoughts, please, on all of this???? I'm so confused. I love AA. I try not to let it run my life because I do have a life outside of AA but I feel like my husband is trying to push me out of it. By the way, we have been married 35 years.

Anon_158160 responded:
My story is similar, although my alcoholism was more apparent. I ended up in a 12-Step based rehab, and my husband was a little upset that I went to AA regularly (3 times a week) when I came home. He never really understood that alcoholism is a disease, but he eventually got used to me being gone a few hours a week. I equated it to being sick with diabetes or cancer; I'd turn to insulin or chemo for help, and AA is my 'medicine' that keeps me on track.
You've been together a long time - hopefully he'll realize you're making a choice that will benefit your whole family.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 29 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.