Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Overdose of THC
navalnau1993 posted:
I've heard from many people, (none of them dependable sources), that you can't overdose from smoking too much marijuana. They say you'll just get dizzy and pass out after a while. But that to me sounds very much like an overdose. I tried to research it myself but could only find worthless resources for avid smokers. Now I've never heard of anyone dying from too much THC, but I also don't know many doctors, scientists, or physicists who smoke it.

So my question is this, what are the effects of smoking too much marijuana, if any? Also, versus, an overdose in one sitting, what kind of negative effects can result from long-term use of marijuana?

Betty Ford Center
James Golden, MD responded:
Smoking large amounts of cannabis can result in lethargy and changes in sensorium, which can lead to significant disruption in sensory and motor functions and general perceptions.

Death can certainly be a consequence of these abnormal perceptions in the form of accidents. Additionally, long-term negative effects of long-term cannabis use include multiple brain dysfunctions too numerous to mention here.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

smoking
you can also try the quitnet.com. you cangetsomefree parches there. the patches have really helped my with my stopping. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.