Skip to content
Abuse, not addicted ... yet
An_255413 posted:
I see a lot of help for those addicted to alcohol; but not much help for those who abuse alcohol, and not "yet" addicted. Why do I think I'm not addicted, because I have no symptoms listed here on WebMD, and other places, when I stop drinking. I don't have the shakes, or get anxious, etc... I never drink during the day ... don't even desire a drink during the day time. I occasionally do not drink at all, but do admit that I normally drink 3 to 5 drinks most days. Everything I read says that is an unhealthy amount to drink. I've read numerous places that state any number over 14 drinks per week is too much. I do drink more than 14 drinks. It may, or may not be an addiction, but it is obviously a habit. Is there any difference? Everything I've read to date states there is a difference, therefore help with those with addictions is not suitable for those with a bad habit. Is it a mental addiction and not a physical one? I often see, "if you're asking the question, you should get help". One problem with that advice, COST! AA is free, however AA is not an acceptable choice for many people. Those living in small towns know what I mean. That oath doesn't work in small towns, I don't care what someone may think. I'd love to get some counseling. I've even discussed possibly seeking help from a hypnosis, but that's costly too.

Anon_158160 responded:
There is good information here: http://www.ncadd.org/index.php/learn-about-alcohol/signs-and-symptoms
After you read this and take the self-test, you'll have a clearer idea. If you feel the need for counseling, I'm sure there is some reasonably-priced in your area and/or covered by insurance.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Sean Barlow, M.D., is the Betty Ford Center's Chief Psychiatrist and is Board Certified in Psychiatry and has an Certificate of Added Qualificat...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticon List
Old time emoticon list below with some notes You may see them sometimes even in Internet Explorer 6 when in a thread.. But IE6 isn't ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.