Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

going into detox treatment for 15 year dependency on pain meds
    An_255878 posted:
    Hello all. I have decided that next month I am going to get off of a 15 year dependency/addiction to pain meds, opiods, for my chronic back pain. I am tired of the side effects, namely the gastro/constipation issues, and just not feeling that great. The dosage I am on is considered "low" but the fact that I have been on them for 15 years, I think I would expect some type of withdrawl from them, so going into a detox treatment center next month. I am highly motivated to get off of these! My plan is to replace the opiod pain meds with NON opiod pain meds, nsaids, and or other meds, like Celebrex or something like that. I have DDD and also a buldging disc L/5 that has been pushing up against a nerve this past few months. Better not thankfully!

luvthoseducks2014 responded:
    While I don't know the dosage you are taking each day, I wish you luck. I went to rehab for pain meds two years ago and have never regretted that decision. I am controlling my pain with Flexeril and Ibuprofen. It has made a big difference in my life and my children's lives. Good luck to you.

An_257225 responded:
    I NEED HELP!!!!!!!! PLEASE

Anon_158160 replied to An_257225's response:
    If you need help with alcohol or drugs, here are helpful 12-Step support sites:
    http://www.na.org/
    http://aa.org/

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

The Sensible Methadone Taper... (Withdrawals, how to get / wean off)
    I was on Methadone for 5 years. I've been as high as 100mg/day. For the first 2 years I was using 3.5grams of high grade heroin on top. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.