Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
WHEN WILL THE NARCOTIC PAIN MEDICATION DETOX END ALREADY;)
myheart5 posted:
I am detoxing off morphine after many years, tolerance was my culprit. I have been detoxing over eight months;( I want my life back to a tolerable existence;) I am one month free and still I am having symptoms of withdrawals , sleep is only four hours a night , GI tract is trying, almost to 50% there;) when will this end for me? Idk what to do I feel horrible about 50-60% of my day;( Doctor says at one month i should not be where I am , I should be finished? I know myself and I am still detoxing ? I am so proud of myself but still waiting to celebrate because I am still having bouts of cravings? Also my doctors pa says I should not have issue's with narcotics given at this point as well for my steroid injects but I say what so soon? May I please have some varied responses for encouragement I really feel hopeless now:( I just want to feel better
Thank u so much;)

Betty Ford Center
Anthony Tornay, MD responded:
When the brain has been exposed (dependent) for such a long period, it doesn't go back to 'normal' just because you are weaned off. The fact that you are experiencing and recognizing craving demonstrates that fact; there is no 'timetable,' and symptoms (sleep, GI, etc.) may last many months, hopefully tapering down and possibly being treated with medications that help but do not cause dependence. A good group (12 Step support, etc.) with people who have had similar experiences can be very helpful.

myheart5 replied to Anthony Tornay, MD's response:
Thank u so much doc ! Six week mark just passed;) I am very hopeful and honored u answered:)

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Anthony Tornay, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and a Director of the Betty Ford Center Board, joined the BFC medical staff in 1984. He is a graduate of...More

Helpful Tips

Goto Discussion: "Addicts and relationships" (I'm Listening..)
Addicts and Relationships. No one wants to talk to addicts, except other addicts. 1. Get connected, socialize; talk to people who ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.