Skip to content
Alcohol withdrawal
chronicalcoholic posted:
I'm withdrawing from alcohol. It's been 60 hours since my last drink and my last 2 days of drinking were much lighter than approximately the previous 9. I had been sober for about a month. I only vomited within the first 18 hours and somewhat more mild than my previous withdrawals. I am able to eat fine, however I haven't been able to sleep at all the past 3 nights, even with the help of melatonin. I've had approximately 3 previous occurrences of seizures due to withdrawal. My question is how likely is it that I would have seizure at this point? Needless to say the ambulances and hospitals near me know my history and I am very reluctant to go to the ED unless absolutely necessary, especially since I was taken by ambulance to USC previously and sat in a "waiting area" with no medical help once for 10 hours and eventually left and I am also very ashamed of this behavior. Thank you very much!

An_258281 responded:
As much as you don't want to go to the hospital, you are much better off if you go. I have heard of people that have a history of alcohol abuse and "dry out" at home. They ended up dying because their bodies needed alcohol to survive. If there is an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting where you live, please PLEASE go! I have been in recovery for about two months, but I have had13 years of sobriety through a 12-Step program. Please be careful, and take care of you.

Anon_158160 responded:
I agree with _258281; if you haven't already sought medical attention, it's important you take care of yourself.

Also, please use the support that AA is so willing to offer.

funnyface50 responded:
Please go to the hospital! I almost lost my boyfriend a week ago. He stopped drinking had 3 seizures. I took him to the ER he was fine Monday and Tuesday at 3am he went into DT's. It took 4 nurses and 2hours to get the doctor to find the right meds to get him calm enough to put him on the ventilator. He was in ICU for a week. He has not touched a drink since he was out! Seeing a picture of yourself hooked up to machines and told u almost died has a adverse effect on you. I have known him for 30yrs and don't know what I would have done if I had lost him.

Featuring Experts from Betty Ford Center

Harry L. Haroutunian, MD., is an internationally known speaker on the topics of Addictive Disease and its treatment. He is Board Certified in Family M...More

Helpful Tips

FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS OF ADDICTED - SEE 'NARANON'
FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH A RELATIVE OR FRIEND SUFFERING WITH ADDICTION - SEE "NARANON" THERE ARE SUPPORT MEETINGS IN THIS AREA ALMOST ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.