Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pain in thyroid area
genamarie1973 posted:
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 1 1/2 years ago. I was told that I had a small goiter or nodule. At that time, I guess the doctor did not feel I needed medication. About a a year after that, I went into the hospital for depression, which I have had all my life. They did some blood work, and put me on the smallest dose of synthroid. I have ran out of the med. a few times (I dont have health insurance) and I was experiencing hair loss (thankfully I have thick hair), night sweats, weight gain, major fatigue. In the last few months, the fatigue has increased dramatically, along with my depression, night sweats, and this is the second time (and this is what I am concerned about at this moment) that I have got a pain in the front left side of my neck (not inside throat), in the thyroid/adams apple area. It hurts when I move my head and neck, sometimes when I swallow, and is very tender to the touch, can extend up to my ear and my glands seemed to be swelled! Last month when this happened, I went to the health department, but the pain had already left and the glands were not swelled. The doctor said that I had probably had the touch of the flu or cold and gave me a refill on my synthroid, and increased the dose- without bloodwork. But I just really feel it is not that, but I could be wrong and just over reacting. I am having that pain again and swelled glands, but no fever. My allergies have been bothering me a bit. I wake up every now and then with a weird tickly feeling in my chest, and I feel like I have to make myself cough, and this has been before and after the pain, and only happen at night. I also have to clear my throat alot. Any thoughts? It is Saturday right now, and the health department is not open, and even if it was, they would not make an appointment right away. Should I be concerned and maybe go the the ER, because I don't really have a doctor to call or see? I guess I am thinking the worst, as I usually do, but after reading up- I worry it could be thyroid cancer.. I can be a hypochondriac!!!

DOGDANCING responded:
honestly, this doesn't sound bad enough to run up a huge ER bill. I doubt they will run the necessary tests, you need a thyroid uptake scan so they can visualize it. Save that money and make an appt with an endocrinolgist and let them run labs and a uptake scan on you. Your levels are all out of whack from starting -stopping-changing dose-etc.

All these symptoms just SCREAM HYPOTHYROIDISM: " I was experiencing hair loss (thankfully I have thick hair), night sweats, weight gain, major fatigue. In the last few months, the fatigue has increased dramatically, along with my depression, night sweats, and this is the second time (and this is what I am concerned about at this moment) that I have got a pain in the front left side of my neck (not inside throat), in the thyroid/adams apple area."

You need to have this looked at and treated. You are suffering needlessly. The right treatment will change your life...actually give you a life back!! Nutty thyroid levels will mess up your whole system. (for example I suffered from depression for 42 years, got my thyroid squared away and the depression vanished, thats the kind of power your thyroid has over your whole system)

You need a scan of your thyroid so they can look for nodules (most likely the cause of the pain and discomfort in your thoat.

If you live in the US see if your state has a persciption assistance program, they can 1/2 the cost of a script. Check the medication manufactures web site synthoid brand often will have coupons or programs to assist users to get the med. EVEN brand name synthroid is reasonably priced. You have to start thinking, "my health and well being are WORTH the money and effort to get and use they perscription everyday."

The effort it takes to live with disabling symptoms on a day to day basis is MUCH more then it takes to get the proper treatement.

TAKE YOUR LIFE BACK.

You are worth it.

Get an appt with an endocrinologist and get to the bottom of this.

peace be the journey

Paja

genamarie1973 responded:
I agree with you. I have no job or insurance, so seeing an endocrinologist is impossible. My only options are the health department, which has limited resources, or the hospital (and just rack up a bill I can't pay). I can get my meds. for $4 at a local Walmart, but I have to get the prescription written from the health department or doctor. I guess I am just wondering at this very moment if this is an emergency that I should get seen for right away? Is the pain in my neck something I should get looked at asap? I'm not having trouble breathing, so I my guess is no. I guess I just worry too much. I have Synthroid that I just got filled yesterday, so I will continue taking that, and get an appointment with the health department before it runs out again. Other than blood tests, I'm not sure what more they can do. Thats why I was weighing the option of going to ER- that and wondering if it was something serious.

Thanks for your reply! ~Gena

genamarie1973 responded:
well, after my research today on the internet. I think what I have is Thyroiditis, and it can wait until I get an appointment with the health department.

genamarie1973 responded:
You were right. The hospital couldn't do much but take bloodtests. 4.73 was my level. Gave me pain med and told me to follow up with endo in two days. I ended up going because two friends wanted me to, and a doctor replied to a post I put up telling me it might NOT be my thyroid and told me to see someone asap. Now I have the fun of finding a way to see an endo with no insurance!!

quasimm replied to genamarie1973's response:
so what ever happened genamarie1973? what was you diagnosed with?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Had a RAI [Oct. 09]. Chose to have RAI since blood work showed hyper, even though most of my life I was hypo. My scores have been mostly in the normal...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.