Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thyroid Medication & Diet Pills
Zlluvia posted:
I have had under active thyroid for years. I just went to a new doctor & was told that I could take Levothyroxin & diets pills together. Know this is a doctor telling me this. On the label of both medications it says that you are not suppose to take them. I just want to know if anyone out there is also taking thyroid pill along with diet pills & if they have had any side effects. If there are any doctors on this message board I hope they can give some insight.

Lizatonic responded:
As a former diet pill junkie, and hypothyroid paitent, I can tell you a few things. But first I have a question. What type of diet pills are they? Over the counter or prescribed? Always be wary of the over the counter ones, they often gave me heart palpitations. I am against diet pills, I used to take them but I've become disenchanted with them. However, if you are determined to use them, I suggest making sure you take them at least 2 hours apart (preferably four). This way there is less of a chance that they will interact with each other. If you have any complications I highly suggest you see a different doctor (Since most of mine tell me NOT to take diet pills at all, I am baffled by your doctor). I do take a 'Detox' pill that helps me with my water retention, but I take it at night and my thyroid medication in the morning just to be extra safe. ps. If you have a 'gut feeling' that taking both medications will cause you trouble, seek a second oppinion, never ignore gut feelings when it comes to your health. Best of luck-- Lizatonic.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease in December of 2009. In June of 2010 I had my thyroid removed.

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.