Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
low TSH high Free T4 HELP!!!
equt posted:
Hello,

I just got my blood test taken last July 28 and the results states:

Procedure Units Ref Range

TSH 0.315 L (mIU/L) (0.358-3.740) T4 Free 2.51 H (mIU/L) (0.76-1.46)

I am under a lot of stress because my husband and i are trying to have a baby for 4 months now and i have read that having thyroid problem can cause infertility and such thought really breaks my heart.

Can you please help me understand the report and how it'll affect my body now that we are trying to have a baby.

Does anybody here have the same problem and still got pregnant?

Your help is highly appreciated.

equt responded:
Im sorry the Fee T4 is

2.51 H ng/dL (0.76-1.46)

Maura12345 responded:
You are hyperthyroid right now and should stop TTC immediately until you get this under control. Hyperthyroidism not only impairs fertility to some degree (the worse the hyperthyroidism, the worse the infertility), but it would still be possible to get pregnant with hyperthyroid hormone levels, and that will increase your risk of miscarriage and your baby's risk of fetal birth defects. There won't be any long-term damage from the hyperthyroidism, so once it's all under control, you'll be able to TTC and have a normal pregnancy. But don't try to get pregnant right now because you'll be putting a baby at risk without any good reason.

What happens next regarding treatment depends on what is causing your hyperthyroidism. That will require more tests because no one here can guess what the cause is. You should read the Hyperthyroidism link at the top of this page to get some background information about causes, symptoms, and treatments.

I can tell you that the most common cause of hyperthyroidism (80-90%) is Graves' disease, an chronic autoimmune condition in which your immune system is producing abnormal proteins called autoantibodies that are tricking your thyroid gland into producing too much thyroid hormone (T4 and T3 are the thyroid hormones). The next most common cause (10%) is a hot nodule, a lump of tissue in the thyroid gland that is out of control and is producing thyroid hormone without any control (these are virtually never cancerous growths, but they need to be controlled). Hot nodules are also chronic (not temporary). The third most common cause (but the least common of the three main causes) of hyperthyroidism is a temporary condition known as transient thyroiditis that involves a period of hyperthyroidism followed by a period of hypothyroidism followed by a return to normal thyroid function. Transient thyroiditis seldom lasts more than six months and is usually a one-time-only type of thing.

Once the doctors determine the cause of your hyperthyroidism, you'll make a treatment choice. Transient thyroiditis is usually over with fairly quickly, so often there won't be a treatment other than beta blockers (if necessary), and the doctors will just wait for it to run its course as they would with something like the flu. For the chronic types of hyperthyroidism, there are three treatments: antithyroid medications, surgical removal of part or all of the thyroid gland, and RAI, a destructive treatment involving ingestion of radioactive iodine to destroy the thryoid gland.

By far the most sensible treatment to start with would be antithyroid medications because they don't involve any permanent choices, and they will buy time to for the patient to research the other treatments. It can be very difficult to concentrate when hyperthyroid, so getting the hyperthyroidism under control with antithyroid meds so that you can make decisions with a clear head is a good idea. The antithyroid meds sometimes do not control the hyperthyroidism (about 10% of the time), but that is most often with people who have severe hyperthyroidism, which you do NOT have. Your hyperthyroidism appears (from the labs you've posted) to be mild to moderate, so I strongly suggest that you go with the antithyroid meds to start with if it turns out that you have a chronic form of hyperthyroidism.

For women with chronic hyperthyroid conditions who are planning to TTC, PTU is the preferred medication (also preferred if you plan to nurse your baby).

But do NOT try to get pregnant until your hyperthyroidism is under control. That could take months, but you would be completely irrational not to wait until your thyroid levels are normal and stable.

DOGDANCING responded:
I have had two sucessful pregnancies (hyperthyroid/Graves) PTU both times and while nursing. (and advanced maternal age to boot 35 and 41 years old LOL)

Like Maura said get it treated first. Untreated HyperT can cause miscarrages in the first trimester. Also hyperT mama's babies sometimes dont grow so you dont want either of those two things derailing your attemps at adding a little face to your family.

Peace be the journey

Paja

equt responded:
Hi Maura12345,

Thank you so much for a very informative response, i have been stressed for weeks now because of this because the Hospital who did the blood test didnt mail my test result for almost a month and we just drove there yesterday to pick it up.

I just got an schedule to an endocrinologist for september 12 and i just made an appointment to a gynecologist on the 17th. I dont want to endanger a baby's life as well as mine and even though it is my greatest dream to conceive, id rather wait for the right time and enjoy every moment of it than to worry and stress myself out as well as the baby.

I appreciate all the suggested forms of treatment, i will print your response and come up with questions that i can ask the doctor. I have a very sensitive body and a lot of medication often makes me sick so hope the doctor can provide me something that will help me out without making me sick. I am willing to suffer for awhile if that is the only safest choice for me, if it means that it will correct every thing.

Your post means a lot to me. Thank you!

equt responded:
Hi Paja,

I am happy to hear that you have 2 successful pregnancies even under PTU. Btw, i dont think 35 and 41 is considered advanced LOL

I will be having my test on the 12th and hope that could help me, id rather wait a few more months knowing after that we could start TTC again and not worry with me and the baby's health.

Thank you so much for the kind support.

Have a good one!

Myersfam responded:
Question, I also had a thyroid test done but my doctor told me that my test results were normal but still low, me and my husband have been trying to have a baby for over 3yrs now, the test results were - THS - .559 & T4,Free(direct) - 1.18, could it still be possible that my thyroid is the cause of my infertilty?

p_1982 responded:
hello have same problem, my TSH level 0.008 and FT4 38.4, don't now what i do?, i have start 75 mg,my doctor (from INMAS DELHI) suggest to start 62.5 mg now, is that correct quantity for normal level?i have strat my medicine from sept 09,first i started 50 mg and my TSH level 7.62, than start 75 mg my tsh level done 0.008.i want to conceive, pls help me,

EMMALINKS responded:
I registered because I want to reply your question.

My wife has the same issue, she took in and had a normal delivery (a bouncing baby).

There is nothing God cannot do. Dont allow anxiety because, it will worsen the whole matter but believe in God and take your medication very seriously.

There is a God in heaven that specializes in curing this type of problem. Let me show you how to meet him and he will settle you.

1 Make sure you belong to him by giving your life and all to him.
2. Ask in faith
3. Expect a great miracle.

You will carry your baby and you will be well in Jesus Name. Amen.

God that did it for me will do it for you also.

Good luck

An_247182 responded:
I am curious... a couple weeks ago I had my blood drawn because my family has a history of graves disease.

TSH <.01
FreeT4 1.2

Other symptons
Low libido
heat intolerant
constipation then loose bowel movements
tired all the time

I'm not sure if it is my thyroid or my pituitary gland.

Any suggestions

yeru1990 replied to Maura12345's response:
Hi there
I got a few tests done recently relating to my thyroid the results were:
Anti Microsomal Antibody(AMA) : 242 (Negative<34 positive >34)
Anti Thyroglobulin Antibody(ATG): 500
(Negative < 225, Normal 225-325, positive >325)
TSH: 0.12 ((0.30-5.5)
FT4: 1.94 (0.70-1.80)

I just can't make any sense out of this.
Appreciate any help in this regard.
And for therecord, I have been on medication for 2-3 months for hyperthroid, have been taking medication of 75mg for this time.

An_253943 responded:
Total T4 (This is what I think they're saying, Total T4 is the blood which

has thyroxine in which they test.) and Free T4 are two separate tests that can help a doctor evaluate thyroid function. (Free T4 is the blood that doesn't contain thyroxine. So they test this against the Total T4 then see the different's)

The total T4 test has been used for many years to help diagnose hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid) and hypothyroidism ( it's to little thyroid hormone ). It is a useful test but can be affected by the amount of protein available in the blood to bind to the hormone. The free T4 test is a newer test that is not affected by protein levels. Since free T4 is the active form of thyroxine,( I think is because before the test you must fast Then bloods is taken every 2 hours for 24 hours) Free T4 test is thought by many to be a more accurate reflection of thyroid hormone function and, in most cases, its use has replaced that of the total T4 test. Whichever thyroxine measurement is ordered, it is usually ordered along with or following a TSH test. A TSH test is a lab test that measures the amount of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) in your blood. TSH is produced by the pituitary gland. It tells the thyroid gland to make and release thyroid hormones into the blood. This helps the doctor to determine whether the thyroid hormone feedback system is functioning as it should, and the results of the tests help to distinguish between different causes of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. Sometimes a T3 test will also be ordered to give the doctor additional diagnostic information.Triiodothyronine (T3) is a thyroid hormone. It plays an important role in the body's control of metabolism. A laboratory test can be done to measure the amount of T3 in your blood. This is how it done in London. You just have to find out what the normal level of thyroids are to work out. I hoped I helped and sorry if I didn't. Good luck.x

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 2004. I took medication for a year and felt great. Then I lost my job and I didn't have insurance. I stopp...More

Helpful Tips

Thyroid Info
Vitamin and nutrient deficiency is one of the main causes of this epidemic. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.