Skip to content
My answer, hopefully it helps you.
Lera21358 posted:
You will find throughout doctor's, message boards, and anyone who talks on the subject of thyroid and Vitamin D deficiency do not concur. Here is what has been going on with me and I think many will see themselves.

I was diagnosed with minor hypothyroidism with a normal T3 and T4 but TSH was always generally between 3.60 to 6.50 with normal ranges being .01 to 4.80.

My doctor started me at the low dosage of 25 mcg of Levoxyl. I felt just a tiny better but I was still very symptomatic. After 6 months she upped it to 50 mcg. Yes I felt a little better some symptoms were gone but others remained and a few news ones were added. I was having horrible headaches that started in the eyes and later became migraines. Nothing would eased them except a prescription of Relpax which later I couldn't take because of side effects. Anyway. I was feeling so ill for so long and with each follow up to re-up my meds I complained how crappy I was feeling but the doctor kept telling my my TSH, T3, T4, RT3, RT4 were all normal. To placate me she upped my meds to 75 mcg and I really felt so much better. After 3 months and I go to follow up, my labs she said showed my TSH to be .01 and she lowered me back down to the 50 mcg. I cried all the way home. I dealt with this for 2 years and I know my doctor thought I was being a cry baby.

One day on one of my doctors visit I went in screaming in pain with head, and nauseating stomach. My doctor decided to check my Vitamin D level and sure enough it was low of 12. She put me on the mega dosage of D2 and boy did I feel better. Six months goes by and I'm really sick! I'm thinking cancer, liver failure something because I'm seriously feeling ill. I see another doctor because mine was on vacation and she tested my TSH and said it was fine and sent me home. Being that again I felt like I was being a baby and everyone must think I'm a hypochondriac, I went home and dealt with it again quietly.

So two weeks ago I go back for my follow up, and tell my doctor once again of some symptoms. Before when I told her of the swelling in my body when I was in her office it wasn't swollen. (Murphy's law) This time though it was there, and the pitting edema was so evident. She pressed on my skin and it took 10 minutes for it to even start to come back to normal. This is when she tested me for everything, Cancer (blood), Kidney, liver, Vitamin D, Vitamin B, Cholesterol, so on and so forth. Today I got the results and once again my Vitamin D was at 18. This after I was in Florida for 3 weeks in the sun, and I'm out in my yard 3 times a week. (I have 2 acres of yard work to do!) I'm in the sun!

My doctor told me that she has been doing a lot of reading and found that the mega dosage she gave me was the D2 and that is great to get my levels up but it will not hold it there if my body is not doing the thing it does to process the D3 to D2 or whatever. So she said studies show that the over the counter D3 is best if taken constantly on a daily bases to maintain the levels in my body that it refuses to produce. She had me go to the drug store and buy any D3 that has 2000IU and take 2 times a day. Gel caps she suggested.

Now since there are no real studies of hypothyroid and Vitamin D deficiency it will be a hit or miss with you and your doctor or any place else in between.

My point is have your Vit. D checked, if it is low, don't wait for your doctor to prescribe anything for you. Just go to the drug store and buy the D3 and take it daily. My TSH has spiked recently and it was at 4.73 and my doctor and I are not sure if it is because of the lack of D in my body but we will soon find out.

So I'm currently on 75mcg of Levoxyl and 2x 2000IU vitamin D3. Hopefully this will take care of my symptoms which have been:

Hope this helps

Oh and my doctor is only a General Practitioner and does her homework when she has a patient like me.

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.